Assistant Director of Nursing
Pine Haven has a fantastic opportunity for a nurse with experience in aging services to join our team as an assistant director of nursing. This position has recently been created as the result of structure changes within our skilled nursing households.
The primary purpose of this position is to assist the director of nursing in the planning, organizing, developing, and directing of the Nursing Services Department within Pine Haven’s Skilled Nursing Facility in accordance with current relevant Federal, State, and local standards, guidelines, and regulations while supporting a resident-centered care environment. This individual in this role is a member of the Administrative Team.
- Assists the director of nursing (DON) to plan, develop, organize, implement, evaluate, coordinate and direct the Nursing Services Department within the Skilled Nursing Facility (SNF).
- Assists the DON to develop, maintain, and periodically update written policies and procedures that govern the daily functions of the Nursing Services Department.
- Assists in developing and implementing appropriate plans of action and/or to correct or identify problems and deficiencies.
- Assists in developing safety standards for the Nursing Services Department.
- Partners with nursing services staff and the Housekeeping and Maintenance Departments to ensure that work areas, public areas and resident rooms within theSNF are maintained in a clean, safe, sanitary manner.
- Performs administrative duties such as completing medical forms, reports, evaluations, studies, and charting.
- Reviews nurses’ and CNAs’ charting to ensure notes are thorough, informative, and descriptive of the care being provided; that notes reflect the resident’s response to the care and the care is provided in accordance with resident’s wishes.
- Monitors medication passes and treatment schedules to ensure medications are being administered as ordered and treatments are provided as scheduled.
- Monitors licensed nurses and CNAs to assure that they are following established safety regulations in the use of equipment and supplies.
- Assists DON to ensure all nursing services staff follow established organization and department policies and procedures.
- Coordinate restorative aide program activities with the Therapy Department.
- Provides input to DON for performance reviews of licensed nurses and CNAs.
- Provides direct resident care as necessary.
- Participates in assessments of new admissions, order entry and confirmation, and development of written preliminary and comprehensive care plans of each resident.
- Encourages residents to participate in the development and review of their care plan.
- Ensures that all care plans are used and followed in the daily care of residents.
- Monitors care to ensure all residents are treated fairly, and with kindness, dignity, and respect.
- Acts as back-up to MDS coordinator and regularly completes assigned MDS caseload.
- Assists infection control coordinator with TB monitoring/testing program and influenza vaccine administration
- Assists in developing methods for coordinating with other departments to ensure continuity of resident care.
- Participates in all surveys made by authorized government agencies.
- Partners with medical secretary to assure that a stock level of medications, medical supplies, and equipment are maintained to adequately meet resident needs.
- Serves on, participates in, and attends various committees as assigned.
- Attends and participates in various in-services and continuing education programs.
- Partners with DON and education coordinator to assess, plan, and deliver educational programs for staff.
- Assists DON in ensuring employee incident reports for injuries and/or exposures are completed and submitted timely to Human Resources Department.
- Assists DON in ensuring reporting requirements for resident incidents are met.
- Current Wisconsin RN license.
- Current CPR certification.
- MDS certification required or willingness to earn within 1 year of hire.
- Prior experience in aging services required; preferably in a skilled nursing environment with short-term rehabilitation.
- Prior experience in a supervision or management role preferred.
- Strong communication skills and teamwork are critical.
- Understanding of, appreciation and support for Pine Haven’s Mission, Vision and Values.